Beyonce For Vogue Magazine's September Issue

Gucci dress. Lynn Ban headpiece. Floral headdress by Rebel Rebel.

It was announced a while back that singer, songwriter and all-around superwoman Beyonce aka Queen B was the cover star of Vogue Magazine's September issue.

Beyonce who was granted full creative control of the issue decided to be iconic as usual and employed a 23-year-old photographer Tyler Mitchell for the cover shoot. This creative decision made Tyler the first photographer of colour in the magazine's history.

In the issue tagged 'Her Life, Her Body, Her Image' Queen B talked about pregnancy and delivery, body acceptance, her ancestry, the mind-blowing Coachella performance and the legacy she hopes to leave her children.

Read excerpts from the interview below.

On pregnancy and body acceptance:
'After the birth of my first child, I believed in the things society said about how my body should look. I put pressure on myself to lose all the baby weight in three months and scheduled a small tour to assure I would do it. Looking back, that was crazy. I was still breastfeeding when I performed the Revel shows in Atlantic City in 2012. After the twins, I approached things very differently'.

'I think it’s important for women and men to see and appreciate the beauty in their natural bodies. That’s why I stripped away the wigs and hair extensions and used little makeup for this shoot'.

On her ancestry:
'I come from a lineage of broken male-female relationships, abuse of power, and mistrust. Only when I saw that clearly was I able to resolve those conflicts in my own relationship. Connecting to the past and knowing our history makes us both bruised and beautiful'.

On Coachella:
'I had a clear vision for Coachella. I was so specific because I’d seen it, I’d heard it, and it was already written inside of me. One day I was randomly singing the black national anthem to Rumi while putting her to sleep. I started humming it to her every day. After a few days of humming the anthem, I realized I had the melody wrong. I was singing the wrong anthem. One of the most rewarding parts of the show was making that change'.

'I know that most of the young people on the stage and in the audience did not know the history of the black national anthem before Coachella. But they understood the feeling it gave them'.

'It was a celebration of all the people who sacrificed more than we could ever imagine, who moved the world forward so that it could welcome a woman of colour to headline such a festival'.

On the legacy she wants to leave her children:
'As the mother of two girls, it’s important to me that they see themselves too—in books, films, and on runways. It’s important to me that they see themselves as CEOs, as bosses, and that they know they can write the script for their own lives—that they can speak their minds and they have no ceiling'.

'They don’t have to be politically correct, as long as they’re authentic, respectful, compassionate, and empathetic. They can explore any religion, fall in love with any race, and love who they want to love'.

'I want the same things for my son. I want him to know that he can be strong and brave but that he can also be sensitive and kind. I want my son to have a high emotional IQ where he is free to be caring, truthful, and honest'.

Click Here to read the full interview.

See photos from the shoot below:


Floral headdress by Phil John Perry for Rebel Rebel. Erickson Beamon earrings. Lynn Ban necklaces.
Louis Vuitton dress. Alberta Ferretti shoes.
Gucci dress. Bulgari earrings.
Wales Bonner suit. Lorraine Schwartz bracelet.

Alexander McQueen dress and corset. Lynn Ban earrings.

Photo Credit: Tyler Mitchell & Vogue Magazine

Comments